Friday, September 11, 2009

Lest We Forget

All of us lost something on September 11, 2001.

Some of us lost all.

Let us pause today to remember:
- those who died
- those who were hurt
- those who rushed in to help, some of whom never came out
- those who lost someone they loved
- those who have died fighting since then
- those who may be in combat at this moment, some so young they do not even clearly remember this day eight years ago

And let us affirm that the values our nation stands for at its best will be preserved not only in the actions of the heroes who battle fire and crime or who battle in war, but also those who are patriots in their quiet actions of each common day.

1 comment:

  1. Thank you for your words of remembrance of that day that changed the world forever.

    I was deeply affected by that day. My grandfather, father, husband, brother, uncle, and cousin have served - or are currently serving this country - as carreer military men and/or in government service directly related to our national defense and the pursuit of world peace.

    I was a teenager living in New York City (Queens) at the time the World Trade Center was completed, visited the building once, and saw it many times standing majestically as a part of the Manhattan skyline. I also attended college in New York state. Several of my high school and college classmates were among the victims of that fateful day, and others live with the loss of family members and close friends.

    I have been lucky that I have not lost anyone close to me, but I have and do live with the effects of what my family members have experienced in the service of our country.

    I ask you to remember and pray for our nations heroes, past and present, and those, like me, who love them.

    ReplyDelete